Monday, July 02, 2007

Karlovy Vary International Film Festival

I'm back at work after 3 days weekend. I feel terrible. I could have slept for 5 more hours. You will ask: what was I doing? Well, I wend to the film festival in Karlovy Vary. It was wonderful.
I left Friday morning with Marysia and her 2 friends, we got to Karlovy Vary around 11, left the bags at the hostel (it wasn't a real hostel, it's just a school where people can sleep during the festival, so it's very basic - just a piece of floor to sleep on, sinks and toilets; not shower!). And we started our great adventure with movie!
First we got out passes that allowed us see 3 movies a day for free, the schedule and all the info, how to reserve the tickets, which is not that easy - there are tones of people and not so many seats in the theaters. So we got tickets for Friday and Saturday and we went for lunch (fried cheese of course, girls came from the country where fried cheeses was not discovered so far) and for a walk. The town is really beautiful, obviously build for the richest to come and relax in the spa. So the buildings are very fancy and the theater is amazing, and the hotels, everything! Even the communist didn't manage to destroy it too much. The town was build by the valley of a river, so on both sides there are hills / mountains. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to explore them, but I hope we can go there some day with Prince and do that.
The walks we managed to do, were between the movies, to get from one cinema to the other :) But in Karlovy Vary, everywhere you go it's beautiful and you can always discover something new and pretty. The first day, we decided that we have some time before the movie starts so we decided to go for a walk. So we walked and walked, and couldn't find the path in the right direction! We almost missed our movie, we got there just 6 minutes before the screening and the rule is that if you won't take your seat up to 5 minutes before, your ticket is given to someone else. Well, we managed it. But I think that Marysia wished later that we didn't. The movie was Japanese thriller. It sound very interesting, about the guy who can enter people's dreams. But both Marysia and me have issues with scary movies. Marysia is even worse than me. And I just don't watch such movies, because I'm too scared. So we went, sat in the first row and hold each other's hand not to be scared. Marysia missed probably half the movie, me around 25% - we were too scared to watch. At the end I wasn't so scared - I was laughing too hard at us. But the movie was good, it's just the way Japanese movies are - very bloody.
So that's what we saw:
1. Venus, a British movie about being old, weird relationship and dying, almost a comedy,
2. Nightmare detective, the Japanese thriller
3. Pingpong, about 16 year old falling in love with his aunt, very German movie
3. Hranice, short movie about a very interesting episode in Czech history, starring actors from a TV show I watch sometimes, proved to be better actors than I expected
4. Marta, there is war and partisans, father and son who finds a wounded women soldier and takes her home, a bit too minimalist
5. Rozpominani a documentary about the Czech society, a series of short interviews with people met on the streets, in pubs, hospital and so on; the questions is: does it captures anything we didn't know yet; it was quite funny
6. Klopka very depressing Serbian movie; how much is life worth; can you kill a man to save a child
7. Bestiář light comedy about a girl and a boy and a few more boys, the only one movie we saw that was not depressing in any way, it wasn't that good either; so maybe a good movie has to be sad and pessimistic....
8. The Letter classic, black and white psychological movie, directed by William Wyler; if only now directors learned from it; there was not action as such but it didn't need to, that's the way to show person's thoughts and motives;
9. Przebacz Polish movie for the end; again depressing but there was a bit of hope, with good hip-hop (sometimes I miss laud hip-hop from behind the wall) behind

Unfortunately, that's all I managed to see. I saw 4 movies on Saturday and it was a little bit too much. I wish I could stay longer, but work.... And I went without Prince and not, we have 4 day weekend so we plan to go to the Czech paradise.
The weekend was great, Marysia - than you for invitation!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cala przyjemnosc po mojej stronie:)))