Friday, November 09, 2007

Sicko

We watched Sicko by Michael Moore yesterday. Interesting movie, but of course people complain everywhere about their health care system. I cannot say that the Polish one is better, although I think that the Czech one is. It's probably offending for some of you to read this, but I am very satisfied with the service level I am getting here, especially with preventive care. But I that's not the point. The point is that I do pay for doctor's visits or for any special treatment. If I'd suddenly got some serious illness or had an accident, I wouldn't have to worry about money, because my insurance will cover it. But this is not the point, it's not what I wanted to write about.

The main thing, I cannot understand about America is the ideology of "the American dream" and individualism so extreme that only the individual. OK, you believe that every hard working person can live "the American dream" and earn millions of dollars. Somehow, I do not think it is possible. I guess I know too many people who could not live under pressure of success. I don't think I would like it, because for me success in life is something different than big bank account, something you cannot measure. But I am under the impression that it is extremely hard in the US for people who think similar, or who were simply unlucky. Because if you don't have money, no one will support you. And here is the difference.
In most European countries, the idea is that people should support each other and help the ones in trouble. You pay according to your means and get according to your needs. And everybody is happy. (I know, it's not that simple and every system has it's problems, but in my opinion it's still better than dumping sick people on the streets, 'cause they are not able to pay their medical bills.)

I know that this is again a post "how I don't like America". It is not my aim. Being with Prince makes me think about some things we in Europe take for granted. It makes me happy that I live in a system which cares about the people, where the government is for people, not the other way.

I have nothing against Americans, I loved the time I spend in the US, I think it's beautiful country with great people. It's just different. In some ways it's better, in some it's worse. Maybe I am trying to convince myself and Prince that Europe is better. But no, I know it's better :D (It's a joke.) It's just different.

3 comments:

lims said...

My personal problem with Moore is that he creates his own ideology.. I went to the movie with my Canadian boyfriend and he almost laughed aloud while they were showing happy Canadian people, waiting '30' minutes for a visit. He says some of Canadians are going to US to get better treatment, so they do the other way 'round.. what Moore shows confirms that US health system sucks, but is it really objective? I think it mostly serves his own purpose :)
Anyway, I didn't want to go to that movie in a first place :) so maybe I shouldn't write this comment. I like your considerations about the community/individual aspect though. While I think it's a bit of simplification assuming that all Europe has this community spirit, I would just say it has its ups and downs. People support each other, fine, but they are also very demanding, used to rely on the state's help and... pay enormous taxes!... so.. :)

Truskawka said...

I agree with all what you said. I didn't belive for a moment that the health system in the countries he is comparing to the US are so wonderful. Also, the US has the best technology and if you need an advanced treatment that's the place to go. I would not say that Moore is objective. But still in my view state should give some support to people who cannot afford helth care.
Community spirit... let's look at Poland. No, it's not colorful, it's not a fairy tale and people don't love each other. But the idea is there and I think most Europeans agree that we are bond to each other and should support the ones in need (at least to some extend, I'm not talking about some extensive social benefits like in Sweden). And I just prefer this attitude.

Anonymous said...

So, why do we in Europe have problems with bribery in medical services?